Roorkee Institute of Technology (RIT) and Himalayan College operate in unison under Himalayan Charitable Trust. B.Sc. Forestry program is 4 years regular degree program. The main aim of this program is to train students to become Forestry professionals. The tasks of forestry professional are- conserving forest and forest resources, conserving and protecting wildlife, manage forest resources, develop forest and forest resources etc. B.Sc. Forestry program trains students and instills skills in them, which will help them perform the above mentioned tasks. Also, the program has been designed to provide the students knowledge about latest technology used in the field of Forestry.
Forestry is the science and art of managing tree plantations, forests and related resources. In Hemvati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University Central University for strengthening the department, continuous financial support is being provided by Indian Council of Forestry Research & Education (ICFRE), Dehradun since 1995. More than 20 scholars from is department of HNB have been awarded D. Phil degree in Forestry by the University. Three scholars were selected as Scientist by Agriculture Research Scientist Board (ICAR) and more than 08 scholars have qualified National Eligibility Test (NET) conducted by Indian Council of Agriculture Research (ICAR), New Delhi. The students of the department have also been selected as forestry professionals in many prestigious Government Institutes, Universities, Private sectors and Non Governmental organizations. Department has also initiated International collaboration for Natural Resource studies and Teaching and Research exchange programme with ICRAF, South Asia, New Delhi. Memorandum of understanding for exchange of faculty and students and for undertaking joint research projects are under consideration with some other national and international institutes/ universities.
• All students must have passed 10+2 (with science stream) examination with a minimum of 45% marks can join the B.Sc. Forestry.
• The students are generally admitted on the basis of personal interview and written examination conducted by institute/university or admit student on merit basis.
• The course is affiliated with Hemwati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University (A Central University) Srinagar (Garhwal) Uttarakhand
Ample job opportunities are available for B.Sc. Forestry graduates in the Forest Department of Indian Government. One may land the job of a forester or forest department officer in State Governments’ Forest Department. For this, one has to go through the selection process and examination though. In case of private sector jobs, some job posts available are- plantation and resort manager, forest product marketing, forest products purchasing manager, Research and Development sector etc.
One may also follow up B.Sc. Degree with M.Sc. Degree and take up a teaching job also. Some good job posts available for graduates are-
Officer- State Governments’ Forest Department
- Plantation Manager
- Nursery Manager
- Forest products marketing
- Purchase Manager (Forest products)
- Researcher (after completing M.Sc. and PhD programs also)
- Lecturer (after completing M.Sc. Degree also).
- Department of Computer Science & Engineering
- Department of Information Technology
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Department of Applied Science and Humanities
- Department of MBA
- Department of MCA
- Department of Agriculture
- Department of Forestry
- Department of Education
- Academic Policy
- Academic Calender
- On Line Study Material
- Workshops & Seminars
- WiFi Internet