Roorkee Institute of Technology, Roorkee aims at producing several eminent engineers, who are skilled, knowledgeable and can provide significant contributions in the planning and execution of civil engineering projects. Our institute is considered best civil engineering college in Dehradun as it has grown into a well-equipped department with specializations in all the major areas of civil engineering.
Civil engineering is a broad field, which involves planning, construction, and maintenance of fixed structures, bridges, roads, sewer, flood control and transportation. Owing to this, Civil Engineering is considered to be one of the most versatile branches. Having lot of diversity in this branch, civil engineering can be considered to give an exposure to upcoming civil technocrats to various challenges in the profession. To make the world an agreeable place in which to live, civil engineering is very important. And, our institute is leaving no stone unturned to make civil engineering a regarded profession.
The main areas of research in civil engineering include environmental, solid mechanics, hydraulics, geotechnical, structural, and transportation engineering. Our civil engineering department provides undergraduate and graduate courses to students. The subjects covered under these courses are computing techniques, science, mathematics, and graphics along with the fundamental Engineering principles of construction materials. To make students understand civil engineering in a practical way, laboratory classes in testing of materials are held by experienced professors. More to this, site visits are also included to give the students practical idea apart from surveying, hydraulics and soil engineering. To execute all the project works related to civil engineering, we have a team of experienced faculties, which holds extensive knowledge of this domain.
Civil Engineering involves planning, designing, executing and maintaining structural works. Civil Engineers develop infrastructure to have a profound effect on the society considering the function, aesthetics, economics and sustainability. The courses cover basic sciences, Mathematics, Engineering graphics, computing techniques along with the fundamental Engineering principles of construction materials. Building Drawing and Laboratory classes in testing of materials help understand Civil Engineering in a practical way. Students also cover the fundamental principles to study the behavior of solids, Fluids and Soils. Surveying and Environmental Engineering. Department is also offering M.Tech. Programme.
Site visits are arranged to give the students practical idea along with laboratory classes in Surveying, Hydraulics and Soil Engineering. Analysis and design of steel and concrete structures and Foundation Engineering. The students can opt for a special elective subject prescribed in the curriculum. A survey camp is arranged for the benefit of the students. Practical classes in Computer Aided Structural Analysis and Environmental Engineering are other features. In the Final year, management and maintenance of construction projects are also dealt. The students have to undertake challenging real projects individually in analysis and design of structures.
This exciting programme aims to provide Civil Engineering graduates with the advanced conceptual understanding, detailed factual knowledge and special technical skills appropriate for Analysis and Design of Structures in an Engineering based consultancy business. The courses featuring in the first year are Applied Mathematics, Advanced Theories and Computing techniques. Matrix Methods of Structural Analysis, Structural Dynamics, Theory of Elasticity and Plasticity, A seismic Design of Structures Electives can be opted based on the students' interest from the curriculum. Structural Analysis using software and other computing techniques are offered as practical courses.
During the second year the students can opt for any three elective subjects such as
Design of Structures for Dynamics, Load Design of Plates, Shells and Special Structures, Design of Bridges, Optimization in Structural Design, Prestressed Concrete
In addition the students are to undergo practical Training for 4 weeks in any construction industry to gain practical experience and technical skills. The students are also encouraged to give seminars on current areas of research. To acquire high degree of engineering skills and to translate brilliant ideas into a working reality, a project work is carried out in two phases. To execute the project works there is an excellent Structural Engineering Laboratory to cater to the students' need with all facilities.
- Apply the principles of science and mathematics to provide solutions in civil engineering.
- Plan, analyze, design, execute and manage the civil engineering projects.
- Conduct field tests and experiments, interpret the results and provide solutions.
- Apply modern engineering tools and software in civil engineering.
- Carryout research and provide innovative solutions to meet the challenges in civil engineering.
- Demonstrate sensitivity towards ethical issues, environmental and societal responsibilities; display effective communication skills, life-long learning and ability to work in teams.
Civil Engineering Labs
- Environmental Engineering Group
- Water Quality Lab
- Micro-Biology Lab
- Air Quality Lab
- Geomatics Engineering Group
- Survey Instruments Lab.
- GIS and Image Processing labs
- Modern Surveying Instruments Lab
- Geotechnical Engineering Group
- Soil Mechanics Lab
- Rock Mechanics Lab
- Hydraulics Engineering Group
- River Engineering Lab
- Environmental Hydraulics Lab
- Irrigation Field Demonstration Lab
- Strutural Engineering Group
- Experimental Structural Analysis Lab
- Material Testing Lab
- Concrete Casting Lab
- Heavy Testing Lab Including Workshop
- Transportation Egineering Group
- Pavement Testing Hall
- Traffic Engineering Lab
- Other labs
- Wind Tunnel Lab
- CAD Lab
- Department of Computer Science & Engineering
- Department of Information Technology
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Department of Applied Science and Humanities
- Department of MBA
- Department of MCA
- Department of Agriculture
- Department of Forestry
- Department of Education
- Academic Policy
- Academic Calender
- On Line Study Material
- Workshops & Seminars
- WiFi Internet